Pandem – What is Pandem?
Pandemic Risk and Emergency Management, PANDEM (Grant Agreement number: 652868), is a Coordination and Support action funded by the Horizon 2020 Secure Societies Programme (H2020-DRS-2014/2015) under the topic: Crisis management 4: Feasibility study for strengthening capacity-building for health and security protection in case of large-scale pandemics – Phase I Demo.
Research on the action began in September 2015 and the project has an 18 month implementation plan.
Marie Connelly – Prof Connolly graduated in medicine from NUIG, holds a Masters in Public Health from UCD, has a Diploma in Tropical Medicine from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and is a member of the Faculty of Public Health Medicine of Ireland. Her areas of expertise include global health security, emerging infectious diseases, pandemic management and humanitarian response.
- 1995 to 2012 Policy advisor to WHO’s Assistant Director-General for Health Security in Geneva
- 2000 – 2007 WHO’s Coordinator for Disease Control in Emergencies
- 2007 to 2012 Lead focal point for pandemic preparedness
- 2015 – 2017 She co-ordinated a Horizon 2020 project on pandemic management in the School of Medicine at NUIG called “Pandem”
- 2020 – to present Public Health Adviser to the Department of Health in Ireland on the COVID-19 response
- 2020 to present Member of the Expert Advisory Group (EAG) to the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET)
- 2020 to present Member of the Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group (IEMAG) to NPHET chaired by Prof Philip Nolan, President of Maynooth University.
A man destined for the top from a young age – 1 May 2020
Ryan’s predecessor at the WHO was Peter Salama who died from a heart attack on 23 January 2020 in Geneva, Switzerland, at the age of 51.
Henry Ryan Named to C21 Canada Board of Advisors – 21 April 2021