Give Me A Crash Course In . . . Michael Lowry – 30 June 2018
Michael Lowry claims he is vindicated, despite conviction – TD found guilty of tax offences is fined and banned from acting as company director – 27 June 2018
Jury to resume deliberations on Lowry verdict on Monday – 22 June 2018
- Lowry “secured the winning” of the 1995 mobile licence for O’Brien.
- O’Brien made two payments to Lowry in 1996 and 1999 totalling IR£500,000 (GB£147,000 and GB£300,000) and supported a loan of GB£420,000 given to Lowry in 1999, a benefit equivalent to a payment.
- Lowry imparted substantive information to O’Brien which was “of significant value and assistance to him in securing the licence”.
- Lowry bypassed consideration by his Cabinet colleagues and thereby not only influenced, but delivered the result for Esat Digifone.
- A US$50,000 donation to Fine Gael was made through Telenor on behalf of Esat Digifone.
- Lowry sought to influence a hike in the lease for Marlborough House (Telecom Éireann headquarters) following a request from Mr Dunne. These rent increases would have improperly enriched Dunne, and were deemed to be “profoundly corrupt”.
- Lowry was criticised for his “cynical and venal abuse of office” and his brazen refusal to acknowledge the impropriety of his financial arrangements with O’Brien and Dunne.
Village publishes preliminary Moriarty Findings – 15 June 2009